brandikosiner

Blkosiner's Book Blog

Review YA and Teen books with the occasional NA thrown in.

He Speaks to Me: Preparing to Hear From God
Connie Grigsby, Nancy Cobb
The Power of a Praying® Parent
Stormie Omartian

Albatross

Albatross - Josie Bloss I finished this book in one day, and it would have been one sitting if life didn't interfere. I connected automatically with Tess. I guess I have a depression that I can't really shake and some of her words really struck a cord with me. I feel like I've lost some of the people I'm closest with, whether from death, moving away, or just drifting apart. ...I felt like I drifted through the day without ever actually connecting with anyone, like I was a ghost of myself? There was also another quote where she said a drummer who was always laughing made her uncomfortable because she worried he was laughing at her.... I totally get that. I feel slightly on the outside with most people and worry that other people really don't like me or are talking about me. Also the way that even when included, she felt still outside of what was going on.Reading that really made me feel more validated... like I'm not the only one, even if its a character in a book. Micah is hot, brooding and mysterious, so in the beginning I liked him pretty much right away, but there is a darker side of him that I didn't really know what to make of. And his relationship with Daisy--his albatross--I wasn't quite sure what to make of, just like Tess. He is candid which sometimes is charming and unique, but other times leaves him looking like an ass. (I'll stop talking about anything further since I got this impression within first few chapters, but I don't want to spoil anything.) The story of Tess' father slowly unravels through the story too, and I feel sorry for her having to deal with that. Never knowing what you're going to get from a person, jerk, good guy or just get ignored keeps you on your toes, and its exhausting to live that way. I really like how Laura tries to be her friend, and Toby is the kind of guy that I want in real life--he reminds me of my husband--chill, protective and friendly. This is a pretty edgy and dark story overall, and I found myself swept up in Tess' story, and able to truly see both "voices" of her mind--the little one that we ignore way too much, and the one that is overpowered by emotion. But it has a powerful ending, and I love how much Tess grew into herself, and how she was even able to help someone that she disliked for a long time in the process.