brandikosiner

Blkosiner's Book Blog

Review YA and Teen books with the occasional NA thrown in.

He Speaks to Me: Preparing to Hear From God
Politically Incorrect Wife with Study Guide
Connie Grigsby, Nancy Cobb
The Power of a Praying® Parent
Stormie Omartian
Gated - Amy Christine Parker Gated starts out right away by showing the main character Lyla is different. In the world of Silo, the community in this book, they are having target practice with cardboard cutouts and Lyla doesn't want to go for kill shots head or chest, but she can't even do that, she sees them as real people. She is also questioning the Brethren or who they believe are their creators and the world is about to end, and only a select few, The Chosen, in Silo will survive. Their leader, Pioneer is charismatic and you can see why people would believe and follow him. He seems so caring and concerned, and the words he uses will get right to your heart. Her friends Will, Brian and Marie all really buy into it, and Lyla tries to because she really cares for them, and it is obvious they care about her, they just don't understand her hesitations. I just never expected all of the twists and turns, and especially how heart heart changes and the bravery that she ultimately grows. I read this for the character development I saw in Lyla, the fiestiness beneath the surface, and the friendship between Lyla and Marie. While there is action, it is a mostly character driven story, struggling with past losses, current shortcomings, and wrestling with what being told to them is a lie, because they are contradictory. The world building was done really well. Mandrogage Meadows felt like a real place to me, with its society and way of life differing from my own, but I could picture it. I could sympathize with what the residences thought to be true and how they fought for their way of life. With that said, I wish that somehow we got a glimpse into Pioneer's past. I want to know what made him how he is and more of how he actually convinced them he was the real deal. The ending took my breath away and I was on the edge of my seat watching it all play out. It was so well done and put such a blast of hope into the story and Lyla's life. Bottom Line: Chilling book with a well developed and questioning main character.