brandikosiner

Blkosiner's Book Blog

Review YA and Teen books with the occasional NA thrown in.

He Speaks to Me: Preparing to Hear From God
Politically Incorrect Wife with Study Guide
Connie Grigsby, Nancy Cobb
The Power of a Praying® Parent
Stormie Omartian
Over You - Amy Reed 3.5 The perspective in this one threw me at first, but not enough to put it down. The point of view is just weird. It is from Max's pov, so she is the "I" but it is also second person because Sadie is "you". So it is like she is writing a letter, or telling the story to us, but as the reader we are in Sadie's pov. Like I said, confusing, but I got used to it. It also changed at about the halfway point because Sadie got sick. Oh, and I didn't like the things at the beginning of chapters. I have seen lots of authors use a short quote, but this was like page or more long of stuff about the goddess and stuff, and it just wasn't my style, so I skipped over it. I do think it is neat in theory because Max is interested in the classics as for literature and she grew up hearing myths. The setting is also unique. Sadie and Max are on a commune, what her called an intentional community." They chose to live a different way, and they chose to be around each other, sharing the work, the places to sleep, cook, eat and shower. The animals, and the people help Max to learn so much about herself and realize what she wants changed and how she needs to change for that to happen. One of those things is the codependency and her need to rescue Sadie from herself. I don't think that she fully gets there, but over the course of the book she definitely starts changing the friendship to a more healthy and standing up for herself more. So, in the end, I feel like there is so much hope and promise for Max's future and what she learned over the summer. This is a book for mature teens only because it deals with drinking, marijuana use, language, codependency, and some sexual situations. Nothing is too explicit though. The drinking goes a little far, but it comes with consequences, it shows how scared Max is when Sadie over does it or makes poor decisions because of it. The ending wasn't as wrapped up as I'd have liked it, but like I said it does end at a good spot, where Max is making a huge stand for herself. She is going back to figure out if she can piece together the mess that is her family, because she'd neglected them to some extent for Sadie, and I think that is a good first step. She will def have to stay strong though because if she let them, they could be the next place where she self sacrifices herself. Bottom Line: Over You is a dark, gritty but realistic book that had some powerful themes and messages.