brandikosiner

Blkosiner's Book Blog

Review YA and Teen books with the occasional NA thrown in.

He Speaks to Me: Preparing to Hear From God
Politically Incorrect Wife with Study Guide
Connie Grigsby, Nancy Cobb
The Power of a Praying® Parent
Stormie Omartian
September Girls - Bennett Madison What I Liked: I liked the sense of family on Sam's side. The interactions and conversations with his brother and Dad really felt realistic. The setting was also well done. I felt the descriptions were well done and made me feel part of the scenery and story. The pain and set up of Sam's mom and her abandonment. I think that a lot can relate with the theme and feelings or knows someone who could. Sam is a deep character in a lot of regards and emotional in others. Caught up in his hurt and anger and I think that is what connected him. What I didn't like: The stream of though and the "we" mentality from the girls at the beginning. I understand but it still didn't sit well with me. I also didn't like the way that Sam thought about girls at first. It seemed really demeaning to me, and I don't know if I am just sensitive or read at a time when self esteem is low, but I really hope that is not how guys think about girls. There was (to me) too much talk of sexual aspects and cursing--I can handle some, but not when it seems over the top.Bottom Line: It was just okay for me. A lot of deep woven in with elements I didn't like.