brandikosiner

Blkosiner's Book Blog

Review YA and Teen books with the occasional NA thrown in.

He Speaks to Me: Preparing to Hear From God
Politically Incorrect Wife with Study Guide
Connie Grigsby, Nancy Cobb
The Power of a Praying® Parent
Stormie Omartian
Obsidian - Jennifer L. Armentrout First off, let me say hell yeah to the shout out to bloggers. I absolutely LOVE that the main character is a book blogger, and that its authentic. I haven't seen that in any other book, and it rocks. The writing is awesome, as I've come to know from Half Blood, the first in Jennifer's other series (I also have a copy of Pure screaming at me to be read... I just seriously need to find more time to read, but with the three year old and the newborn, its not as often as I like, but I digress). As most of you probably know, I am a character person. They make or break books for me, and Jennifer sure nailed it. I love Katy's voice and character, she was so easy to connect with and to be in her head. It was natural and flowed so well. She's kinda shy but she fights to overcome it, which I admire greatly. I love how bold she is with Daemon sometimes, and the way the way that she handles him... well, it couldn't be done any better. Her internal voice, especially the running commentary about his lack of wearing a shirt is great. And oh hot Daemon. Who knew that aliens could be sexy. But he totally makes it work. He has the bad ass vibe, and he really is an ass sometimes. By about half way through, I understand why, but still. And I really think that the jerkiness is mostly because he wants to protect her and his sister. He doesn't want her to be drawn into a dangerous world. But does that excuse it? I appreciate how Katy questions it, and doesn't just let the attraction totally drive things. She doesn't let his sexy overpower what she wants and what she knows she deserves. And there really is some tender beneath the jerk, even though it isn't the easiest to see or remember when he's being a jerk. I really appreciate Jennifer's genius in writing his character where I can totally see the appeal, but then again, I don't want anything to do with him, then the next minute I wish I were the one kissing him, and then I am totally questioning it again the next. And I don't want to spoil anything, but just let me say, sweet baby jesus--the lake scene. Yeah. That's all. Dee is pretty amazing too. She is the sort of female character that I wish were one of my best friends. She is perceptive, talkative, and understanding. As for pacing and that good stuff... I was never bored, and always wanting to know what would happen next, and yearning to be reading when life and other books that I had a short window of time to read got in the way of that that is Obsidian awesomeness.Review from Blkosiner's Book blog, read more of my reviews here: http://blkosiner.blogspot.com/