brandikosiner

Blkosiner's Book Blog

Review YA and Teen books with the occasional NA thrown in.

He Speaks to Me: Preparing to Hear From God
Politically Incorrect Wife with Study Guide
Connie Grigsby, Nancy Cobb
The Power of a Praying® Parent
Stormie Omartian
Clean - Amy Reed Clean is a powerful book about teens in a rehab center. It focuses on 5 different teens, two boys and three girls. I think that it's amazing how Amy wove their tales together, how they interacted with each other, but most distinctly, I really was impressed at how she was able to give them each a unique voice. They all had different things that led them to drugs or alcohol, but I love how they are able to band together, forgetting those differences and seeing each other as real people with real needs, and forming a friendship and a road to recovery. I also liked Shelly the councelor, I hope that there are people like that for every recovery group. She seemed to know what each needed and pushed them to participate, share, and what is appropriate at what time for them. She told it like it was without sugarcoating, and I like that aspect. Sometimes things are skimmed over because it's YA, but this is a raw and powerful book. I definitely recommend that you pick this up and give it a try. It moved me and I think given a chance it will speak to everyone who reads it. I was able to see pieces of myself in the characters and it made me so thankful that I've never been down that road, but it gave me glimpse of what that road could look like.