brandikosiner

Blkosiner's Book Blog

Review YA and Teen books with the occasional NA thrown in.

He Speaks to Me: Preparing to Hear From God
Politically Incorrect Wife with Study Guide
Connie Grigsby, Nancy Cobb
The Power of a Praying® Parent
Stormie Omartian
Choker - Elizabeth Woods The first chapter sets up the high school world as I remember it perfectly. Nearly hellish. My heart went out to Cara as she is a loner, and there are bullies who thrive on her pain. It is sad to read about her absent parents and even though it is a trend in YA, it is also a reality. I hate seeing the resigned acceptance, it is almost worse than the acting out for attention. The tagline had me questioning everything that happened, just wanting to figure out what is going on. I am horrible at mysteries, but I like to read them. Choker is dark at times and it really explores depression/ low self esteem. It is a different take- rather than a jealous and possessive boyfriend, it is a best friend. This is something that I haven't seen explored very much, but I know can happen. I really like that even though the love interest is popular, he has flaws, and he has a past that is not picture perfect. He is shown as having emotions, of making mistakes, and being vulnerable. I really appreciate that sort of honesty and reality in books. And oh my GOSH. I never saw the end coming, it completely blew me away.