brandikosiner

Blkosiner's Book Blog

Review YA and Teen books with the occasional NA thrown in.

He Speaks to Me: Preparing to Hear From God
Politically Incorrect Wife with Study Guide
Connie Grigsby, Nancy Cobb
The Power of a PrayingĀ® Parent
Stormie Omartian
Nightshade: Book 1 - Andrea Cremer Nightshade is a wonderful read- I flew through it and enjoyed every moment. Calla is a great main character, she has strong opinions, she is a leader, she is loyal and fierce. Reading from her point of view was a pleasurable experience. Well, for the most part! Nightshade is full of mystery and suspense- I was constantly guessing and wanting to know more. Calla is an alpha, leader of her pack, and though she is protective of her packmates, she is beginning to question everything she has know, all because of a mystery boy that she risks all to save. Shay. He is an awesome character, funny, inquisitive, and brave. He cares for Calla, and fights for her, makes her examine how she really feels; which isn't as simple as it sounds, as she is promised to Ren. This is a decision made by the Guardians- their packs are destined to merge, with Ren and Calla mated. Ren is well written as well- he is a natural leader, quick temper, and he has strong feelings masked behind his bravado; and I love his teasing manner. He can be a jerk though, and he has a reputation of being with a lot of girls and not really committing. But when it comes to Calla, he starts showing a different side. Cremer really handled this triangle well-- I really didn't know who I wanted Calla to be with, and who I would rather have :) Cremer wrote the romance so that it enhances the plot, but does not completely derail it. And oh man is this a sexy novel (it was all tasteful but still hot!) The other minor characters were well written. Ansel, Calla's little brother, is awesome. He shows such love and affection for his sister, and I love to see that. They are like best friends and siblings at the same time. Cremer also created a wonderful universe-- it works within the world we know, but all of the paranormal is real! I was a bit confused at first with all the terminology- guardians, keepers, wraiths, etc-- but it all fell into place. As they uncover more of the mystery, I was able to form my own opinions as well as seeing what Calla and her people were taught and know to be true. I am glad that I picked this one up, it was a great read, and I can't wait for the next book to come out!