brandikosiner

Blkosiner's Book Blog

Review YA and Teen books with the occasional NA thrown in.

He Speaks to Me: Preparing to Hear From God
Politically Incorrect Wife with Study Guide
Connie Grigsby, Nancy Cobb
The Power of a Praying® Parent
Stormie Omartian
Butterflies in May - Karen Hart Butterflies in May is a beautifully written novel. It is very emotional and it made me challenge my thought processes and how I viewed issues without really knowing all sides. Ali is faced with a problem- a teenage pregnancy- she fell victim to the 'it can't happen to me' syndrome, and got pregnant the one time her and her boyfriend didn't use protection. She struggles with all of the choices in front of her, abortion, adoption, keeping the baby, college, marriage, and all of these huge life decisions thrust upon her. It is a very real situation, and I think that Ali's reactions, responses, and thoughts are all valid and realistic. Her boyfriend also acts in a manner that could be straight from real life. Hart has a wonderful gift for taking these issues that are hard to talk and think about and present options, the positives and negatives, in a non-judgmental way. I love how Ali's parents are really involved and that even though they are not perfect, they try to be there for her and support her the best they know how. She also has a great support system in her best friend, her aunt Laura, and the guidance counselor at school. I would recommend this to anyone who likes books about tough issues, teen pregnancy, or coming of age stories.