brandikosiner

Blkosiner's Book Blog

Review YA and Teen books with the occasional NA thrown in.

He Speaks to Me: Preparing to Hear From God
Politically Incorrect Wife with Study Guide
Connie Grigsby, Nancy Cobb
The Power of a Praying® Parent
Stormie Omartian
The Girl Next Door - Selene Castrovilla This is a type of story that I love and devour. The main characters Sam and Jesse are well written, and the plot is well paced. I am able to understand where Sam is coming from and it is an adventure to watch how they deal with these life altering circumstances. Their relationship is touching and though I would only recommend this for older teens and adults because of sexual references and action (which seems a bit excessive to me at times which is why I deducted a star), it is feasible that it could really be two teens dealing with emotions, hormones, and a tough hand that life has dealt them. I like that Sam's mom is loving and understanding. She realizes that this is a unique situation and supports her daughter and her and Jesse's love. She is present and trying her best. I also like that though Jesse's mom has a terminal child and a husband that left her, she is finally able to break through her own pain and sorrow and finally be there for her son. It is a difficult road for her to get there, but at least it is not a case of a completely absent parent. Maria is also a great addition- adding extra support for Jesse, and some humor thrown in.