brandikosiner

Blkosiner's Book Blog

Review YA and Teen books with the occasional NA thrown in.

He Speaks to Me: Preparing to Hear From God
Politically Incorrect Wife with Study Guide
Connie Grigsby, Nancy Cobb
The Power of a Praying® Parent
Stormie Omartian
Bitter End - Jennifer Brown This is a very powerful book, and it's about an issue that is close to my heart. I can see some of the same things in myself and in the main character of my book, Meredith that I see in the main character of Bitter End, Alex. Ms. Brown really nailed what makes it possible to fall in love with the abuser, and what it takes to stay there. I think at a distance, anyone can say that would never happen to them, but truth is that it can happen so much easier than anyone things. It doesn't have to be necessarily physical abuse, although they are usually linked, but it can be harsh words, isolation, or constant assault of character and looks. This never comes out on the first day--it builds slowly until you feel that the guy is the only thing that's important, the only one who understand and loves you. I saw this through Alex, and really felt along with her. I like the secondary characters such as Bethany and Zack, and I really wish that I had, and that everyone has friends this close. True-there's the isolation and the tension, but at the end of the day, they are still there for her. I also really liked her boss, Georgia, I just wanted to give her a hug. There is secondary plots, that is crucial to Alex discovering who she is like the quest to find out more about her mom, their trip to Colorado, and the different family dynamics that we get a peek at through the different characters. This is a really powerful book and I recommend that everyone give it a read.